Promoting Reading in Zambia (2017-2019)
Magic Libraries has funded a two-year project to improve children’s reading skills in 40 community schools around Kitwe in northern Zambia.
This project seeks to establish classrooms libraries, supply children’s books to schools in English and Bemba (local language) and promote reading through teachers’ training and organize reading activities with local volunteers.
Between 2017 and 2018, Magic Libraries and its partner “The Book Bus” have:
• installed 21 libraries in classrooms
• distributed 5,420 children’s books in English and 2,370 in Bemba
• trained 84 teachers in the assessment of children’s reading skills and the development of reading activities
• organized 134 reading activities with children and 5 reading camps
• improved reading skills by 15% for 2,726 students.